Summer 2012

Summer 2012

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Vermont Fashion...Where Is It??

Whenever I travel I like to identify what the fashion trend is for the locals in the area. Not too difficult, just be observant and take note of what most people seem to be wearing. Here are some examples. When I was on vacation in Charleston, SC a few years ago I realized that to be fashionable I would need an assortment of strapless halter dresses. I don't think I saw any woman under the age of 50 who wasn't sporting one. A couple years ago Lindy and I went to Miami, FL for a weekend conference and I discovered that skinny jeans are required attire there. Young, old, male, female...it matters not. If you want to "fit in" in Miami then you better "fit in" to skinny jeans. I'm not a big fan of skinny jeans so I don't think I would have fared well there. In Chicago you have to tuck your jeans or pants into tall boots. It doesn't matter what color the boots are or if you are wearing jeans or pants, you just better tuck them in. Jenn was in high style as she brought her cute riding boots and did the tuck in. She looked like a local.

Now, in Vermont, I've discovered a commonality and if you're from Vermont you might not appreciate it too much. I apologize for that ahead of time. I'm not trying to offend anyone, and I don't personally know anyone from Vermont, so I'm just making an observation. People in Vermont are very plain looking. By "plain looking" I mean that there is nothing flashy about Vermonters--as far as I have seen. No makeup, no highlights, not much thought put into clothing. They are very "granola" or "natural," I guess you could say. This, of course, is the exact opposite of me. I told Lindy that if I lived here I would be known as "the pretty one.". He said that, really, people would take one look at me and say, "She's not from around here.". As a disclaimer I should let you know that we are in rural Vermont and the landscape is beautiful...the people, not so much.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and they probably think me odd with my lipstick and mascara and colorful scarves and what have you. I am definitely in the minority here.

That's all for now.

2 comments:

  1. So, what's new. You've always been in the minority. And you always stood out, whatever you were doing. So this is no surprise. I had a roommate in college from Iowa. She was the same. Not much fashion sense, but she changed after living with me for a year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said it Robin "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
    I'm sure many of these "not-so-beautiful" people are even more beautiful on the inside than the most outwardly beautiful person in the world!!
    Thank God He doesn't judge us by our outward beauty!!
    1 Peter 3:3,4 and "beauty is vain..." Proverbs 31:30
    It is nice tho' that He made beautiful people for our eyes to enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete