Summer 2012

Summer 2012

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Accessorizing with Attitude

At first glance you might think this post is about wearing your accessories with "attitude."  If that's what you thought--you're right--at least somewhat.  If you are going to wear that outlandish scarf or that chunky, sparkly jewelry or those floral-print shoes then you better wear it, girl!  Don't be afraid to take a risk once in a while.  Don't be timid or apprehensive or make apologies if someone gives you the stink eye.  If you're going to put it on then you better wear it--don't let it wear you.  That's one way to accessorize with attitude.

Not too long ago my husband bought some unusually bold print shirts that are a little out of his comfort zone.  I'm proud of him for branching out, but you have to understand that this is a man who can wear a suit and tie like nobody's business but he's most comfortable in his Levi's and striped polo shirts or some version of blue-striped button down.  Most of the time when he comes home from shopping I'll have something clever to say like, "Well, honey, you absolutely needed another blue striped shirt.  I'm so glad you didn't pass up that bargain."  I'm being sarcastic, of course.  In the hot summertime he feels most comfortable in plaid shorts and a t-shirt in a coordinating color.  He's been on a t-shirt kick this summer searching for shirts that blend nicely with all of his plaid shorts.  Our three boys have jumped on the plaid shorts bandwagon and if you saw us out in the summertime you would likely find the four of them sporting their plaid shorts.  I've learned over time that plaid shorts are not really something I can wear well for reasons I won't mention, but you would find me nicely accessorized, of course.  Anyway--I digress--back to the story of him buying this bold print shirt.  He had it on and he was a little apprehensive about it.  I liked it and I knew he liked it but he was just unsure about wearing it.  So, I said, "Uh uh.  You are not wearing it unless you are going to wear it with pride.  This is a shirt where you will not be able to let it wear you.  You have to own it.  Go big or go home."  This isn't an exact quote because this was several months ago, but you get my drift.  He did wear the shirt with pride, and in turn, I was proud of him for branching out.  It was definitely not blue striped.

I could end my post there with that nice little story about accessorizing with attitude and many of you would say, "Ah, that's just Robin being her Robinesque self always contemplating accessories."  You wouldn't be too far off base there but it isn't really my ultimate point in this post.  More important than wearing that shirt or that jewelry or those shoes is the ultimate accessory that you wear all the time--your attitude.  It's not so much about confidence as it is your outlook on life and the circumstances you face every day.  Each day is filled with decisions and the most important one you will make most days is regarding what kind of attitude you will choose.  I'm not talking about putting on a fake smile when you're really boiling inside.  I'm talking about matters of the heart and choosing to be joyful regardless of what you face each day.  The Bible says, "Rejoice in the Lord ALWAYS and again I say rejoice."

This is something I learned from my parents early on and I'm trying to take those opportunities to instill this valuable quality in my children every chance I get.  When I was a little girl and didn't get my way my Dad would say, "I'm not going to change my mind.  It is the way it is and now you have a decision to make.  You can choose to be miserable the rest of the day or you can choose to be happy.  The choice is up to you."  That's not an exact quote because that was 30 years ago, but you get my drift.  I know that there are some things that we probably thought as children that we wouldn't ever say to our kids, but this is definitely one that I use with my kids.  They get over stuff pretty quick so I don't have to use it very often, but I think that's because Lindy and I have set that expectation for them from early childhood.

The truth is that we are going to face things every day that may not turn out the way we would choose.  Those things may be beyond our control but what isn't beyond our control is our attitude and how we decide to respond to the people and circumstances around us.  If you're a Christ follower I believe we have an even greater responsibility to maintain a heart that is right with Him and an attitude that is a silent witness to those around us who might not know Him.  None of us will ever "arrive" in our relationship with God, but instead, I know He uses every day situations to test us and see what kind of attitude we will choose to wear as our accessory.  Over time I have learned in my own life that when I keep a good attitude the situation may not change but my perspective towards it will.  When I choose the right attitude somehow God will turn the situation around for good and He will help me to see what His plan was all along.  He's cool like that.

So, before you put on that cool glitzy belt or those fantastic royal blue boots or that Mr. T. necklace pause a minute and look on the inside.  What attitude is there that is shining through on the outside?  It might not always be easy, but I know you can do it.  After all it's completely up to you how you Accessorize with Attitude.    

1 comment:

  1. I love how you bring in living and having a relationship with God thru your love of fashion and accessories. It is so you and just what most of us women connect with.\

    love you and am proud of you.
    aunt connee

    ReplyDelete