Summer 2012

Summer 2012

Friday, September 10, 2010

Fall Fashion and "To Wear It Or Not to Wear It"

OK, so it's no secret that I have an affinity for clothes, shoes, accessories, makeup, and anything--really--to do with being a girl.  It's a good thing my husband knew what he was getting when he married me.  He has a sister who's a lot like me, so he was prepared for the preoccupation with all-things-fashion.  I'm not sure when my love of all-things-fashionable began but I know I came by it naturally.  If you knew my mother and her sister and their mother you would understand me a little better.  My grandmother was a woman who was always stylish and put-together even until the very end.  On the day she died my Mom was able to be with her and she said my grandmother asked for her lipstick and mirror so she could freshen her lip color.  (If you see pictures of all the women on my Mom's side of the family we will be wearing bright lipstick.  That's how you can pick us out of a line-up).  I guess she wanted to look good when she met Jesus.  I get that.  If you saw pictures of me following childbirth--all three times--you would find me looking just as I do every other day.  It's a little crazy, I know, but I wanted my babies to see their mother in her natural state--makeup on, hair freshly highlighted and styled, etc.  You get the picture--and those pictures live in infamy.  I have to think that this side of "me" is what made me acceptable as a wife to my husband's grandmother.  She had grace on me and accepted me--and it's just as possible that she would not have accepted me--because I married her precious Lindy.  My mother is 70 years old and still shopping at American Eagle.  She changes her purse to match whatever she's wearing, she has "vintage" shoes and jewelry that still work today and I hope to have half her style when I grow up.  I also hope she passes her wardrobe, jewelry, accessories, shoes...down to me someday.

Looking back at pictures of me as a child I was always workin' one style or another.  We didn't have much money but I wore my colorful hand-me downs from my cousins (who are cut from the same cloth) and my Kmart blue-light specials with pride.  A few years ago someone was teasing me about wearing my knee high boots with great frequency in the winter and I brought a 2nd grade class picture to show her that even then I was sporting the high boots.  I'm so glad they came back in style for the general population--if you know what I mean.

So, now that the season is changing the foremost thing in my mind--related to changing seasons--is fall fashion.  In the spring when spring and summer fashion starts to appear in the stores I am taken in by the pastels, floral patterns, bright colors, and the mere thought of pulling out my white skirts and pants again.  I'll get back to that in a little bit, but I will say that my favorite part of summer fashion is sundresses.  They are comfortable, you can dress them up or down, pair them with a sweater or shrug when a sundress might be inappropriate, wear them with sandals, flip-flops, or kitten heels, camouflage the extra BBQ you ate at your last cookout....  They are the perfect summer fashion item.

In the fall, the item I am drawn to when all the muted colors, blacks, and grays start to appear in the stores again are sweaters.  I'm not a big fan of fall and winter but beautiful sweaters almost make it worth suffering through those long months.  I also love jackets.  I don't love wearing them, but if you have to wear them you might as well have cute ones.  The worst part of fall and winter fashion is closed-toed shoes.  :(  My friend Jenn and I probably push the envelope with flip-flops and wear them far too long into fall.  When the snow flies we put them away because otherwise we might look a little silly.  Other than my high boots I really don't have much affection for shoes appropriate for winter wear.  I do have some adorable pink snow boots and I wear them when the occasion arises--with a pink sweater, of course.

Now on to "To Wear It Or Not to Wear It."  What is "it" you ask?  If you guessed white after Labor Day you guessed right.  The Monday before Labor Day I came to work wearing white pants--and other clothes too--but the white pants are the focus here.  My co-workers commented on my outfit that day and Cheryl said, "I bet you're wearing white because you only have a week left until Labor Day to wear it."  Cheryl's a smart cookie and she was impressed that she knew me well enough to know the thought process behind my chosen attire for the day.  I was impressed too.  I told them that they could just expect to see me in white every day for the next week.  I even wore a white skirt to church on the Sunday before that Monday and let it be known to my friends and family that I was taking advantage of the limited time.  I did wear white every day--even white jeans on Friday--until Labor Day weekend.

Is there really still an unwritten rule in 2010 about not wearing white after Labor Day?  Am I old fashioned with my fixation on fashion facts?  Is it just a worn-out midwestern style myth?  Does it really matter in the whole scheme of things when we think about what's really important in life?  Not one bit.  If you wear white until Christmas I won't think any less of you, I won't judge you, and I won't gossip about you to my friends.  I will love and appreciate you just the same.  Meanwhile, my white pants and skirts will be making their way to their winter home in the basement.  Old habits die hard.  I guess I'm just a traditional girl, but come Easter, watch out!!  I'll be wearing my white with pride.

In a later post...a fashion experiment I found interesting and might consider trying myself.  It's a tough one, I assure you.

14 comments:

  1. Robin, I agree or at least I did until I moved to South Florida. Down here anything goes all year round. I used to think there was a cut off on opened toed shoes as well, but down here I wear them all year round, and so does everyone else. Well except for those few days in February when you need a jacket :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post. And, yes, your grandmother always insisted that no matter what, a lady had to have expensive shoes and purse. That's what people look at first. By the way, I did hear that white is acceptable after Labor Day now, according to What Not To Wear. So, don't put them all away. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think like your friend Shelley that all those "rules" go out the window when you live in Florida. I think white, too, is ok to wear into the fall months. However, I think "winter white" is a better choice. Love me some "winter white." (aka. something near the cream family)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin you are so correct that your mom has great style!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin, I love your posts! Our attractive white nursing dresses, pantyhose and shoes must have been especially painful for you to wear during the majority of the school year:). You always did look almost fashionable in them though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cayla, "Shelley" is Deanna's sister and she lives in Miami. Shelley, Cayla's my sister-in-law who no longer lives in Florida and is now a West Virginian. I will have to look into expanding my winter white wardrobe. Mom, I'm glad you watch "What Not to Wear." I know you convinced me to wear many an ensemble because you said "they" were wearing it. I never really knew who "they" were. Now I know it's Stacy on "What Not to Wear." Allison, you are so right. She will always have fabulous style. Her knees were bothering her when I was home last time and I told her that maybe she would have to get some SAS shoes. I think her exact words were, "Bite your tongue!" Jenni, it was painful wearing those horrendous dresses and the white hose. They could have at least been a little more fashionable. I did rock the white after I graduated and worked at St. John. We were required to wear white but I had some snazzy uniforms. When I got married I insisted on a wedding dress that had rum pink in it because I was so burned out on the white. Thanks for your comments, ladies. :) You are all fabulous in your own special way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robin I thought you always wore some white after Labor Day, but then it may have been your Winter White. And it cracks me up that your Mother knew who Stacey and Clinton are but you did not. Your Mom is very hip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robin thank you for the introduction to Cayla. I have never been introduced to someone on the internet before but you did it so well I think I should say, "Nice to meet you Cayla" :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am all caught up on your blogs. I love them. I was having a sad night tonight and was looking for something to get me out of this blah mood and there you were. Thank you my sweet cousin for making me smile tonight. Love you!

    Lana Kay

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Flip Flops,
    The time is coming upon us that we will have to part for a bit. My toes thank you for the freedom, and for helping show off their pretty paint colors. Don't get jealous when "black boots" or "black pumps" come to play, I will be reunited with you at the first hints of spring. DOn't be sad or feel alone, you will be with others of your kind during this time of seclusion. So, I will hold all the memories of us near to my heart. Until we meet again.....*sniff sniff*...good bye

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lana, Love you so much. We'll always be close no matter how far away we live. I'm glad you're reading for comic relief, if nothing else. Jenn, maybe we should have a "changing of the shoe" ceremony in October. Love your sentiments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just read your whole blog... good writing!! The waving one tugged at me the hardest. Man, don't do that to me!

    About your fashion affinity, I can attest to all those who did NOT know you 20 years ago that you have not changed! I used to refer to you as "Sleeping Beauty" before I knew you. Did you know that? I think it was the hair...

    Keep up the writing and 'Amen' to the sundresses!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jennifer, you crack me up. I had no idea you called me "Sleeping Beauty." That's so funny. I always wanted to be naturally beautiful, laid back and easy-going like you--definitely the opposite of Sleeping Beauty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the blog Robin! You always looked stylish even when we had to wear those awful white uniforms in nursing school- maybe it was the lipstick:)
    Hugs!!!!

    ReplyDelete